Sunday, December 17, 2006

Indian community event....

A couple of weeks back I got an invitation to attend IBM India's community xmas/new year dinner here in Cincinnati.The event was held today at a local holiday inn express.It was a great gesture from couple of folks who took the trouble to organize this event.

I'm definitely not a party person and tend to be somewhat skeptical.One thing that almost always happens in these parties is ladies and the men form seperate groups and the guys spend the time talking about work or office politics both of which annoy me no ends.I mean is that all that is interesting in the world to talk about?

The other funny thing that happens with amazing regularity is people being coaxed to dance!.I mean you should shake a leg and have fun by all means but atleast do not relentlessly coax people into doing a jig impromptu.My idea of fun does'nt happen to be dancing to bollywood numbers anyway.I would rather enjoy any other party games for that matter.

The other rite of passage that happens is when people start playing their work roles in office get-togethers. I mean you might be my boss or manager at work but give me a break this is outside work. I have frequently seen people higher in the pecking order being given more importance or trying to show off at these gatherings.

Anyways to cut the long rant short today's event was pleasantly better.The crowd was comprised of India based IBM'ers who work in and around Cincinnati and their families.The only problem seem to be that there was a big group coming from a single project who obviously knew each other well. I mean nothing wrong with that but its just that mostly these people interacted amongst themselves.I met some nice and interesting guys.The appeatizers and the dinner were good and there were a few games-housie and dumb charades thrown in.There was the inevitable 'dance coaxing'....but overall not that bad.

It was good to know IBM'ers who live and work here.I was a bit surprised at the relatively large numbers.I had thought not many would be around here.Good on that....

No comments: