Tuesday, February 12, 2008

20 Mile House

There is this beautiful historic landmark called "20 Mile House" on my way to work. Its a small building more like the taverns you read about in old stories. Stopped on the traffic light bang opposite this nostalgic place, the electronic sign caught my eye a few months back. It said "We were here before you were born, 1822". Some research on the internet revealed that the 20 Mile House traces its history back to 1822, when it operated as a stagecoach stop and tavern. It was well known for its Irish coffee and cheese wheels. The place had closed down some years back.

Some days later while again stopped on the same light I read on the electronic sign that the house was open again and would serve dinners and cocktails like the old times. Who doesn't love a little bit of history? Certainly I do. I get an eerie feeling on passing such an old place everyday which was hard done by modern times but glad to know I can have dinner in a true blue American tavern of the 1800's.

No comments: