Saturday, December 15, 2007

Dus Kahaniyan

Caught this movie the other day. I love short stories and this movie's plot promised to weave ten brisk,interesting tales together complete with new set of actors and directors for each.I had made up my mind even before watching this one that it was going to be pleasantly intriguing and gripping.

Well,I shouldn't have had my hopes so high as I was treated to a rude shock.The first couple of stories were so ordinary and soulless that it took me by surprise when they ended. I almost exclaimed every time - "What,that's it...that's supposed to be a whole story??". It continued over and over-old wine in a new bottle,absolutely mundane run of the mill stuff being paraded as something novel and innovative. The only saving grace was the "Rice Plate" largely due to the presence of perhaps the two best actors in India-Naseerudin Shah and Shabana Azmi.They transformed what was a pretty lame storyline to something captivating and lasting by virtue of their incredible acting prowess. Naseer doesnt even have more than a dialogue in the part but his presence is unmistakable. Shabana looked the traditional religion obsessed south Indian lady in a manner which made it appear she had been one most of her life.

This brings me back to the title "Dus Kahaniyan",seven of those were a complete waste of my time. The other two worth mentioning were the stories involving Amrita Singh and the first one. I forget their titles but they were relatively watchable than rest of the crap.

No comments: