Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Back to School

Nope, I'm not writing about the "back to school" fever which hits the US every September. I was pleasantly surprised to see this write up on wikipedia

I do a lot of searches on wiki just for the heck of it so I eagerly lapped up this short article about my old school which has lately become quite famous due to MS Dhoni's rise in Indian cricket. Actually the school was always in news atleast locally for the steady stream of talented students it churned out every year who got thru to IIT's, AIMS and the likes.

I still remember the meeting with the then vice principal Mrs Thind- a strict, upright Punjabi lady. The occasion was my "interview" if I can call it that before joining the Nursery grade!. I was shown a rose and asked to name the flower,I declined to answer due to reasons I cant remember now and was promptly admitted to the school nevertheless. Those were the good old days for now I read that only those scoring 95% and above get entry to the science stream.The article also told me that the school now runs in two sessions morning and afternoon to accommodate the burgeoning student population.

Mr RE Singh used to be the Principal in my time. He was the butt of many jokes I don't seem to recall now. What I do recall is his highly agitated frame on the assembly platform when a loud cracker went off with an ear shattering bang right in the middle of the morning prayer session.
This auspicious incident would normally precede the Deepawali festival. The current school Principal Mr DR Singh used to be the Chemistry teacher. He was a pretty good teacher but had a particular quirk of gesticulating with his hands as he described a dumbbell shaped ionic bond
If I remember right,he had spent some years in South Africa on a teaching program and he would recount tales from that sometimes.

I was quite amused to see the name next to the Dean's column on the website. SN Thakur our dreaded Physics teacher-fondly known as TNT is now the Dean of the school. I think this position was abolished after a few years when I started school. He once told someone in our class to see him afterwards for extra coaching. This was a subtle recommendation to join his private tutoring class. It was rumored that those who didn't would suffer when he evaluated term papers. I seem to forget now if there was any truth to this.

As I read that article, a plethora of memories and visions from the past rolled up in front of my eyes. Funny how a couple of pictures of old school buildings can take one on an express trip down the memory lane.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.