Sunday, August 05, 2007

Piano Themes

I am a big fan of great Piano themes specially the ones from some of my favorite movies. There's something magical about the Piano.A well trained pianist can work magic with the black and white keys. I know nothing about music other than the layman aesthetic appreciation for it. I have tried experimenting with listening to the great works of Western music-Bach,Beethoven,Mozart, Chopin.

I have not reached a position where I can identify the pieces but they leave me astounded nevertheless. Its fabled that Mozart composed the immortal "Twinkle,Twinkle little star" when he was 5. There is something absolutely captivating about western classical music specially the piano notes even if one is not refined enough to get into the technical stuff.

Some of the more famous Hollywood OST's played on the Piano have been nothing short of breathtaking. There is James Horner brilliant and moving score in Titanic. This is what Director James Cameron had to say about Horner's score:

"When James and I met to discuss "Titanic" for the first time almost two years ago, we both searched for words to express the depth of feeling we had for the subject and how we should go about scoring the film. I felt strongly that the score should be unconventional and not the classic period score with its sweeping orchestral stings. I wanted the film to transport the audience back in time and to make that moment in history not history but life... a moment spent with living people like you and me. The music had to have emotional power and a life energy that could move an audience now , in the closing years of our jaded and revved-up century, without sounding gimmicky or anachronistic."

"I was tremendously excited by that initial encounter and so we embarked on what proved to be, for both of us, the most grueling and demanding, yet ultimately the most rewarding, creative partnership of our careers. Early in '97, as filming ended, James invited me to his studio where he played some initial sketches and melodies on the piano. I will never forget the moment before James began to play... sitting there hoping and praying the themes would be good. And realizing minutes later that the themes were far beyond good. They were everything I had dreamed, perfectly capturing the aching, bittersweet heart of the film."

James Horner produced another very poignant and very touching score in the "Beautiful Mind".The background score totally enhances the emotive content of a story. There is nothing more captivating than a brilliant scene or a masterfully delivered narrative like Morgan Freeman's now immortal voice over in the Shawshank Redemption which comes alive miraculously when the background score specially the Piano notes float dream like, gradually building into a crescendo which culminates with a turning point in the story.

Browsing through youtube I discovered some very competent and sonorous Piano themes. These are some of my absolute favorites I can listen over and over without ever getting tired. I wish I could learn the Piano and can only dream I could play some of these magnificent pieces of art. Hats off to these immensely talented folks.

Beautiful Mind Theme

Another Rendition of the Beautiful Mind

The Titanic Theme

World Trade Center Theme

Pearl Harbor-Tennessee

No comments: